We are very aware of our environmental footprint and we’re always seeking ways to reduce it and promote green initiatives amongst our staff, volunteers and the general public.
- “recycling” stock which otherwise would be taken to landfill sites. Newcastle, Northumberland and North Tyneside Councils recognise this contribution and reward us with credits for each tonne of goods recycled
- introducing a reconditioned furniture scheme
- opening a £1 clearance store in North Shields to reduce the volume of items being sold on as rags and ultimately less going to landfill
- offering a full house clearance service
- offering a mobile phone recycling scheme where supporters can drop their phones off at any of our shops. Forgotten Mobile then recycle them in exchange for a donation to the Hospice
- working in partnership with the two main universities in our region, we have implemented a Student House Clearance Service to encourage students who are leaving their place of residence to fill St Oswald’s collection bags with items they no longer need or can carry /take home with them and donate them to us
We won the Charity Retail Association’s ‘Green Initiative Award’ in 2012 for our recycling and green initiatives.