Mission and Philosophy
The mission of St Oswald's is to provide 'hospice care' and act as a resourcing organisation in the development of hospice and palliative care in the North East of England.
Our mission focuses on three core areas:
providing direct care services to people affected by life limiting illness
working with national and local policy makers, health commissioners and clinical practitioners to enhance and increase the provision and access to hospice and palliatve care
contributing to education, training and materials for people who commisson and deliver care programmes
How we are achieving our mission
Our 2012-2015 strategic objectives are grouped under the headings: care, campaign and educate, reflecting the key components of our mission.
- Constantly evolving and responding to meet the changing needs of patients, children and young adults
- Mainstream transition services for young adults
- Develop strategic partnerships with neighbouring providers
- Become the acknowledged sub-regional leader for lymphoedema
- Seek to establish first Consultant in Children's Palliative Care post in the region
- Develop the network for transition services and young adults palliative care in the
- Create a unified lymphoedema pathway for the sub-region
- Maintain and develop our leadership in the field of specialist palliative care education
- To maintain a workforce skilled in the provision of specialist palliative care to enable
us to share our knowledge with the wider community
St Oswald’s Hospice is a charity that values the life of each person and is committed to excellence in Specialist Palliative Care.
The philosophy defines the values of the organisation for patients, families, carers, and all those involved in its work.
- Value each patient as an individual.
- Put quality of life first.
- Provide care without discrimination.
- Facilitate integrated care.
- Provide support for families and carers.
- Value all those involved with the work of the Hospice in whatever capacity.
- Are committed to providing a quality service.
- Provide a major resource in palliative care.
Manage the Hospice effectively.
Click here to see our statement of purpose...